The Education Abroad Merit Award is a highly competitive scholarship program which awards $1000 per application cycle (fall, spring, academic year, calendar year). We ask recipients of this scholarship to fulfill the service component which may consist of one of the following projects:
- Work with your advisor to research and update any program materials (country/city handbook, etc);
- Develop a detailed daily, weekly, monthly and total program budget and budget narrative based on your own real expenses while in-country and traveling (to share with future applicants);
- Create a blog that you update at least twice a month for the duration of the program, including pre-departure and post-return entries;
- Create a photo journal or short video and narrative of your experience
If you are a Merit scholarship recipient, IPO will also request your participation in pre-departure and post-return focus groups.
- be an active UMass Amherst Undergraduate
- have a minimum GPA of 3.6
- have started a UMass Abroad application for an approved study abroad program for the term of study they are applying for
- a statement of purpose of between 500 and 750 words
INCOMPLETE applications will NOT be considered
Notification of award:
All students will be notified via email about the outcome of the scholarship award no later than 4 weeks after the close of the application.