This is a travel course to Belize and is offered in collaboration with the Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (C.E.L.A.) Belize. The course provides an introduction to the wildlife of Belize, selected wildlife conservation projects in Belize, and the role of veterinary professionals in these conservation efforts. The course also provides exposure to the practice of veterinary medicine in Belize as it relates to pet and farm animal species. Students will participate in service learning via the planning and implementation of a free Wellness/Spay/Neuter Clinic for small animal species in a local village and via travel to local farms to provide veterinary services for livestock. Additionally, the course will expose the student to cultural and historical aspects of Belize. Students will develop an awareness of cultural diversity through pre-departure preparations and in the course of their experiences while in Belize.
Prior to travel and after returning from Belize, the course will meet once weekly for three hours. An additional mandatory pre-departure orientation meeting will be scheduled.
What Students Say
- Implement an Animal Wellness/Vaccination/Spay-Neuter Clinic in a local village
- Visit local ranches to provide veterinary care to livestock
- Explore a Mayan archaeological site with a local guide
- Tour the Belize Zoo with zoo staff during both the day and at night
- Walk through the jungle with a local guide to observe black howler monkeys in their natural habitat at the Community Baboon Sanctuary
- Spend three days on a tropical island and do both day and night snorkeling on the coral barrier reef off the coast of Belize
"This class and experience was by far the best thing I've done (in college). It was such an eye opening and life changing experience. It is definitely an experience that will help me in myworking life and something that I will always remember.
"This trip is something I will hold close to my heart for the rest of my life. We not only impacted the lives of animals but also the people of Belize. This trip has made me a better person, and helped me to appreciate the small things life has to offer. This trip locked in my future dreams and I cannot wait until the day I am able to visit Belize again.
"This program should be run for as long as it can, I think it is truly an amazing thing.
"Students who already went should be able to again because you wouldn't BELIZE how amazing this experience was!